Short Answer: Anything from $500 or up.
The minimum amount of money required is the amount of money required to register a nonprofit or charity status in your country.
You basically only need a charitable status in your corresponding country to be come a nonprofit charity. You can start your charitable work by first bootstrapping and donating your own time to promote your causes. If you are have more resources such as friends to help, or money of your to fund operation and hire help, that’s great. However, they are not mandatory to start a nonprofit.
Similar to starting any business, you can put in sweat equity and use your influence to ask donors to donate money to acquire more helps, or influence other to volunteer.
How to Create a charity or Nonprofit in America
This process is very similar to creating a regular corporation except that you have to take the extra steps of applying for tax-exempt status with the IRS and their state tax division. These are the steps to take to incorporate your nonprofit:
- Choose a business name – Make sure to check the state-by-state information on the various laws that apply to naming a nonprofit in your state.
- Appoint a Board of Directors – Draft your bylaws with guidance from your Board of Directors. These are the operating rules for your nonprofit.
- Decide on a legal structure – Choose whether your organization will be a trust, corporation, or association.
- File your incorporation paperwork – You must next file formal paperwork, or articles of incorporation, and pay a small filing fee to your state. Look up your state office through the National Association of State Charity Officials (NASCO).
- Apply for tax-exempt status – A nonprofit organization may be eligible for exemption from federal income tax. The IRS provides guidance and instructions on applying for tax-exempt status. Learn more about federal tax exemption requirements in IRS Publication 557 – Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization .
- Obtain necessary licenses and permits – Does your nonprofit have all the licenses and permits needed to comply with federal, state, and local rules?
How to create a charity in Canada
In Canada, you can only apply for a registered charity status if you belong to one of the followings
Description of the relief of poverty category with examples of purposes
Description of the advancement of education category and examples of purposes.
Description of the advancement of religion category with examples of purposes
Description of the category with examples of purposes
How to create a charity in UK
Your charity must have ‘charitable purposes’ that help the public (known as being ‘for public benefit’).
Charitable purposes include things that contribute to:
- relieving poverty
- saving lives
- citizenship or community development
- the arts
- amateur sport
- human rights
- religious or racial harmony
- the protection of the environment
- animal welfare
- the efficiency of the armed forces, police, fire or ambulance services
How to create a nonprofit organization NFP in Australia?
An NFP organisation is an organisation that is operating for its purpose and not for the profit or gain (either direct or indirect) of its individual members.
NFP organisations fall within two broad categories:
- charities, and
- other NFP organisations that are not charities, for example: most sporting and recreational clubs, community service organisations, professional and business associations and social organisations.